Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A cause for celebration.

I have noticed an increase in online postings about the 4th of July, how to create the perfect barbeque and where to watch fireworks. I am a fan of all of these but found myself thinking about the events and document that led to Americans celebrating the 4th of July. Sometimes I think we get caught up in the commercialization of a holiday or what we can get out of it rather than how it came to us and why we should appreciate it.


The history of the 4th of July and the Declaration of Independence is fascinating if you think about it. I looked up the Declaration of Independence and sat down to read it. What a remarkable piece of history! I found myself so moved that these people were passionate about eradicating evil in the hopes of creating an enlightened society. Take a few moments to read the text of the Declaration. It's an amazing piece of work created by some pretty brave individuals.


Have fun during your 4th of July celebrations but do save a few moments for reflection and remembrance. Happy 4th of July!



Our flag flying over Independence Hall

Philadelphia, PA

No comments: